Sunday, October 13, 2013

GPS Tracking app - Lightroom Maps - EASY PEASY





Just came back from teaching a couple of workshops in Colorado and Flagstaff.  I used this opportunity to test out a mobile GPS tracking system.  My cameras do not have built in GPS and I was looking for an easy solutions to import GPS info into the MAPS module of Lightroom.










I downloaded an app called GPStrack onto my iPhone.  Turned on tracking when I left and turned it off when I got home.


GPSTrack allows you to use the GPS receiver in your iPhone or iPad to show your current location and create a log of your travels.

GPSTrack can record your location in the background, so you can continue to use your iPhone for other tasks while your location is recorded.

When recording a track, GPSTrack can show a map with your path, updated in real-time.
Saved tracks can be exported via e-mail in GPX and KML formats, useful if you want to geotag photos from a camera that doesn’t have GPS support.

This tracking went on in the background without any intervention from me...in other words, idiot proof!

Easily imported the .gpx into the MAP module in Lightroom and TA DA...all my images from that trip are pinned perfectly on the map with all the GPS coordinates, time and location. I can see the image from the exact location!


This will be a marvelous tool for scouting and planning future trips, captioning my images, and using yet another great tool in Lightroom to its fullest!

GPSTrack 2.2 can be dowloaded from itunes - the website for the developer is bafford.com/gpstrack






No comments: